Monday, October 11, 2010

Thanksgiving

It is Thanksgiving Day in the Frozen North.

21 years ago today, I shot a triptych that has hung on my walls and given me pleasure for all these years.  It is a study in green and yellow and quite abstract.  I shot them on Kodak Ektar 25 film in 35mm with a Nikon F-4 camera and a Sigma Apo f:4.5 300mm lens from a tripod at a 60th and 30th of a second in a dark wooded river valley.  All the shots were done wide open and at a moderate distance, so there is only one spot of focus in a solid sea of out of focus green and yellow.  I printed them 16X24 size and framed them with a double green matte, and a shiny wooden green frame and used super-multi coated Den glass in front.

I did not write these details down.

I can not remember the family dinner that day or the people or any other detail of that day or even if there was a dinner.

I think this anecdote serves to illuminate one corner of the mind of a photographer--this photographer anyway.

Give thanks out loud today for something, even if there is no one else to hear you.  It is good for the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment