Thursday, October 6, 2011

A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOG

My not-so-sainted mother used to ask me rhetorically, "If you don't blow your own horn, who will?"

Well, listen to my horn blow. I just won first prize in the Chocolate Chip Cookie baking category at the 160th annual Ilderton Agricultural Fair. (It took the judges 12 hours to come down after tasting them).  This is no trifling category like whole wheat bread or the best decorated ice cream cone.  This is one of those categories that can lead to everlasting fame in the community or everlasting shame for the losers. In 1953, there worst bribery scandal in IAF history involved the CC Cookie judging. Blood was shed. The winner who cheated was tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail. The two women who took bribes, were forced to resign from long-held executive positions in the Anglican Church Women's Missionary Circle.

No, the CC Cookie category is one of the top five most coveted prizes at the fair, right up there with best standing soybean field crop and vegetables that look most like their owners.  AND THIS YEAR THE PRIZE IS MINE!!!

Friends have asked me if I will change because of it. "No, I will still talk to lesser mortals. Oh, I might talk down to you, but I will still talk. I am not the kind of person who deserts his friends just because he has created the perfect desert."

I am like the Canadian flasher who wears a bag over his head--proud yet humble.

No comments:

Post a Comment