Sunday, February 26, 2012

MUFFIN MADNESS

In April of 2008, I woke up one morning and decided to bake bread, having never baked bread before. At the same time, I started experimenting with a photographic technique that I believed to be unique. Unique is a hell of a hard thing to achieve after 45 years doing photography seriously. In December of 2008, I began writing SURFING VIETNAM, my fictionalized autobiography that is currently doing well in sales on Amazon. I am in danger of making a meagre living at writing, as I have 4 other books for sale, soon to be 5.

Last week I became obsessed with making muffins. I wonder if the muffin baking is the harbinger of a new direction in art.

I have no idea how to give advice about making art, but I can give you a couple of my favorite muffin formulae.

Cornmeal Poppyseed Muffins

Mix dry ingredients: 
1 heaping cup flour
1 heaping cup corn meal
1 tps. bakng powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup poppy seeds

Add wet ingredients:
1 large egg
about 1 cup buttermilk (to make a thickish batter)

Bake at 425 for 20 or so minutes in a (silicone) muffin pan.  Makes 6
You may double this with good results.

Oatmeal Walnut Muffins

Mix dry ingredients:
1 heaping cup flour
1 heaping cup oat flakes
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Add wet ingredients:
1 large egg
about 1 cup buttermilk
about 1/4 cup honey

Bake at 425 for 25 or so minutes in a (silicone) muffin pan.  Makes 6
You may double this with good results.

Happy baking!



1 comment: